Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Ben McKean 272 posts 549 karma points
    Jan 14, 2011 @ 14:54
    Ben McKean

Umbraco MVC

Hi,

Hope this is the right place for this topic. I head up a development team at a digital agency in North West England.

I'm aware that Umbraco is moving towards using MVC in the future. Most of our developers here are .Net using webforms with no experience of MVC (apart from online tutorials etc).The Umbraco web sites that we produce range from standard functioanlity using ascx usercontrols to pretty complex sites extending Umbraco with custom sections.

My question is when do we need to seriously consider think about upgrading our skills to MVC so we can work with the latest version of Umbraco (when it becomes available)? Once Umbraco is developed using MVC will developers still be able to use web form code (webforms, usercontrols etc) or will we need to develop using MVC?

Obviously we'll have costs and timescales to consider when we upgrade developer's skills so this is the reason why I ask.

Thanks in advance for your advices

Ben

• Dirk De Grave 4541 posts 6021 karma points MVP 3x admin c-trib
    Jan 14, 2011 @ 15:25
    Dirk De Grave

Hi Ben,

Just take a look at Scott's blog post on asp.net/mvc/...

http://www.hanselman.com/blog/PlugInHybridsASPNETWebFormsAndASPMVCAndASPNETDynamicDataSideBySide.aspx

Personally, I'd take the costs of upgrading my skills to MVC, as in the long run, it may take less time to delevop using mvc which could cover the initial costs of upgrading your skills.

Just my 0.02$

Cheers,

/Dirk

• Jay Dobson 75 posts 121 karma points
    Jan 14, 2011 @ 17:16
    Jay Dobson

Two words in support of MVC:

no viewstate

:)

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft