Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• David Park 32 posts 52 karma points
    Jan 10, 2011 @ 14:20
    David Park

Softsys hosting - $50 fee to restore accidentally deteled files

Hi Folks,

I'm sure a lot of people on here use Softsys to host their Umbraco sites. I have been frantically developing a site for a friend the past few days and managed to delete half the site accidentally before backing up.

They have a restore service which seems great but comes at a cost of $50. I just wondered if anyone has had a better experience with a different hosting company or is this standard practice? Or maybe even a good price?

• Aaron Powell 1708 posts 3046 karma points c-trib
    Jan 10, 2011 @ 21:56
    Aaron Powell

The main thing your doing wrong is developing on the hosting environment. Develop locally and use source control.

Problem solved.

• Chris Houston 535 posts 980 karma points MVP admin c-trib
    Jan 10, 2011 @ 22:25
    Chris Houston

Hi David,

I also use Softsys and have a VPS with them as a development server.

Ouch, on the delete.. what exactly did you delete, there is a chance if it's database related that you could get it back, but to be honest if Softsys are able to do a restore for $50 it might be worth just doing that compared with the amount of time it might take you to write custom SQL queries etc.

As Slace mentioned, I would advise trying to develop locally and to use a source control server to keep a couple of your solution, this will save you a lot of headaches in the long run :)

I wouldn't recommend changing hosting provider, I would just put it down to a lesson learnt and be glad they are able to restore for you, you might also thing of setting up a simple batch script that allows you to backup your files and DB files, you can then copy these onto a local FTP server and pull them down to your local machine on a regular basis, which at least will give you an "off server" backup of your own.

Good luck :)

Best regards,

Chris

• Simon steed 374 posts 686 karma points
    Jan 10, 2011 @ 22:25
    Simon steed

Agree with slace here - develop locally and do regular backups of db and files.

As for the hosting question, it's common with the cheaper hosts, purely as this is where they claw back some cash for their cheap deals. You can pick up a cheap virtual servers for little money at the moment or go with a more reliable host that may cost a little more but you get more in return (better support, automated backup systems that you can control etc

Good luck

Si

• Donald St. Martin 83 posts 128 karma points
    Jan 10, 2011 @ 22:26
    Donald St. Martin

How exactly did you accidentally delete half of your site?  Did you right-click in the content tree and click "Delete" by accident, did you blow away records in the database or something else?

--
    Donald

• Paul Blair 466 posts 731 karma points
    Jan 10, 2011 @ 22:30
    Paul Blair

David, what was deleted? if it was the umbraco directories these should be easy to recover. Also, depending on when the deletion occured SofySys may not have a recent backup (i think they do them nightly?).

If it is a simple site and you still have the masterpages, CSS and XSLT directories it may be just as quick to start again (locally).

The $50 fee is a fair price in my opinion and it probably cheaper to pay it, assuming the backup was recent enough, rather than spend the time fixing it yourself. I would be surprised if there are other providers who would not charge for this.

• Ravi Motha 290 posts 500 karma points MVP 7x c-trib
    Jan 10, 2011 @ 22:33
    Ravi Motha

Hi David,

The backup service is usually dependent on the server/hosting package  you sign up for: some GoDaddy hosting for example comes with various back up options, and sometimes you can pay for specific back up retrieval.

http://help.godaddy.com/article/5661

I can't say that price is extortionate, some data retrieval companies will try and take and  arm and a leg, but I have so far been fortunate to not require this for myself yet (touches wood).

Moving forward, if you are developing multiple sites and doing this on a regular basis,it's probably best you develop locally, and then push the files up as you need them, using a form of version control

Github https://github.com/ and Subversion http://subversion.apache.org/ are popular and you can then keep backups of code

• Kim Andersen 1447 posts 2196 karma points MVP
    Jan 10, 2011 @ 22:36
    Kim Andersen

Hi there David.

I would say that $50 is not that bad a price, if the files that you accidentally deleted where custom files, that you created durring the development of the site. I'm thinking of files that's not a part of the Umbraco installation - you know files like XSLT's, dll's, masterpages, user controls etc. Think about how long time it would take to write all of those files once again. Depending on the complexity of the files it could probably easy take hours and hours.

But of course it's up to you. I think I would pay the $50 and then just go on with the project.

I'm sorry but I haven't got that much experience with Umrbaco hosting companies outside of Denmark (but I've herd some good things of Softsys actually), but if you don't care where in the word the site is hosted I can recommend UnoEuro from Denmark. I've used them a couple of times, and they are first of all very stable, and then they have a great support.

Let us know what you find out.

/Kim A

• Thomas Höhler 1237 posts 1709 karma points MVP
    Jan 10, 2011 @ 22:37
    Thomas Höhler

Hi David,

for the most hosters it is usual practice to charge for additional services. You made a fault which we all made (except some australian guys ;-)). I just deleted some css of our websites last week. So to be save it make backups before change something. The most hosters have some additional ftp backup storage for low money where you can use own scripts to make bak files from the database and zip files from the content to save via ftp.

Another great tool to have a dev environment and published one is umbraco courier which you can find on www.umbraco.org

But what did you kill? Content or Files?

Cheers, Thomas

• amit 1 post 21 karma points
    Jan 06, 2012 @ 04:26
    amit

softsys hosting is a disgusting hosting provider, i had terrible, terrible experience with them

*they dont have refund policy*

i bought a server, but to start a website with them was a terrible thing, becoz that vps did not have basic things to start a website

like dns management tool, control panel

they asked $50 per hour to help,

thats the 1 thing, if u get stuck up, then you will get screwd like anything

they got lot of hidden charges

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft