Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• David Peck 687 posts 1863 karma points c-trib
    Nov 17, 2010 @ 21:58
    David Peck

When four become one

We've developed four Umbraco website which are mostly different in terms of copy, and CSS, but they are branched from an original Umbraco installation. To be crystal clear, these are now 4 different database, but they were once all the same website and still share 90% of the same structure and configuration.

My realisation that we should have just had 4 root nodes has come too late, I fear, but now I'm investigating the possibility of merging the 4 sites back in to one umbraco installation. Obviously one option is to employ a monkey to manually copy content over, but I'm hoping for a more intelligent solution...

Any ideas?

• Aaron Powell 1708 posts 3046 karma points c-trib
    Nov 17, 2010 @ 22:16
    Aaron Powell

If they are 4 independent site roots you could use the package engine to import the content. The package engine doesn't support importing media so that'd give you some limitations.

But really you'll have 4 independent sites with 4 sets of doc types, etc in 1 Umbraco install, I don't think you're really achieve much by doing it.

• Rich Green 2246 posts 4008 karma points
    Nov 18, 2010 @ 10:37
    Rich Green

David,

A key point is whether all the sites are for one client who is happy to see all the sites.

You can hide the sites from each login but then each site user will lose the recycle bin and of course have shared macros etc.

Rich

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft